|Release dates (SS)||JPN December 4th 1997|
NA October 27th 1997
EU November 1997
|Release dates (PC)||JPN December 11th 1998|
Sonic R is a racing game developed by Traveller's Tales. Many consider Sonic R to be one of Sonic's lowest points, due to the brevity of the game and substandard control system. Originally developed for the Saturn and later ported to the PC, it was also included on the Sonic Gems Collection for PS2 and Gamecube.
The game plays like a typical kart-racing game, the only exception being the majority of the characters run on foot. The levels contain power-ups such as speed boosts and shields to enable the characters to walk on water. Also, by collecting enough rings, shortcuts can be opened.
 Unlockable Characters
- Dr. Eggman - complete the game by coming first on every track.
- Metal Sonic - collect all the tokens on Resort Island, then defeat Metal Sonic in a race.
- Tails Doll - collect all the tokens on Radical City, then defeat Tails Doll in a race.
- Eggrobo - collect all the tokens on Regal Ruins, then defeat Eggrobo in a race.
- Metal Knuckles - collect all the tokens on Reactive Factory, then defeat Metal Knuckles in a race.
- Super Sonic - collect all seven Chaos Emeralds.
- Grand Prix Mode - Prove yourself the fastest in the world by winning a series of Grand Prix for the ultimate prize.
- Time Attack Mode - Don't just race against time but maximise your points by popping the balloons.
- Weather Condition System - Changing weather conditions affect the way you race.
 Basic System Requirements
- 133 MHz Pentium processor minimum
- Windows 95 or Higher
- 16 MB RAM
- 2X CD-ROM
- 256-color SVGA (game also supports DirectDraw, Direct3D, and Force Feedback)
- Sound Blaster 16 or compatible soundcard
- Windows-compatible steering wheel and pedals, joystick, and game pad
- IPX, TCP/IP, modem, or serial link (for multiplayer games)
Music from the game features in the following CD soundtracks: